Saturday, December 13, 2008

Kathmandu to Delhi

Hello! I am in Majnu-Ka-Tilla, a Tibet refugee camp in northern Delhi. I arrived via bus, yes, I took the bus again, today around 1pm. This was one stinky, comical, frustrating, squished, unbelievable and valuable 36 hour ride. We had two flat tires, two children puking out the window while the bus was in motion, a man who while asleep, fell face forward through the window of the door-he was rescued by two other men who grabbed hold of his legs and pulled him back into the bus. He decided to sleep on the floor in the aisle instead. I traveled with my friend Flavio from Switzerland and we had some wonderful conversations and helped each other laugh through the ridiculousness of the ride and advocated for regular pee breaks.
I am going to write more in the next couple of days; I have much to say. On Sunday, I am going to Rajastan, via train, to visit a friend for the final leg of my trip.

1 comment:

Janice said...

Michelle, we can't wait to hear your descriptions of these bus rides in person! These have all the ingredients of a Marx Brothers movie! Like you mentioned, "The suffering is the path" and this is an indication of it. We got your phone message this morning but it came in at 4:20 AM, which is a little early for Saturday morning. We love you and please take care on the final leg of the journey. I pray for you every day at the Little Church and the times for you would be 5:00 AM and between 7:00 and 8:30 at night. I'm kneeling at the altar looking through the candle sending you my thoughts. Be safe. Be well.